Q: What does GRAMMO represent?

Α: GRAMMO represents the rights of music producers, namely the companies or individuals who bare the organizational responsibility and investing initiative of the first fixation, the financial risk and the responsibility of coordinating and materializing the whole project of recording and making available.

This copyright is protected not only by Cypriot legislation, but also by international legislations and treaties.

GRAMMO, by means of contract awards and reciprocal agreements, represents both greek and international repertoire and collects rights from uses such as broadcasting, communication to the public, public performance, etc.


Q: What exactly is “Public performance”?

Α: Every case of use/performance/presentation of the work of art that will make it accessible to persons beyond the narrow circle of the family, friends, and the immediate social environment, even if these persons of the broader circle are in the same or different areas will be considered as a “Public performance”.

If the music is used beyond the narrow circle of the family and purely for personal enjoyment and not in a public area (such as a shop or a bar) will not be considered as “Public performance”.


Q: What is the difference between the music that is played been useful or necessary for the business?

Α: Music is considered as useful when it improves the atmosphere either for the employees or the customers, if it is heard from a radio or a television or a central audio system in stores, gyms, hair salons, recreation areas, offices, restaurants, practitioners’ offices etc. Necessary music for entertainment purposes is the music that is dominantly present in public areas such as cafes, bars, clubs, nightclubs etc.


Q: Do I need a license every time I play music, even via a television or a radio in my store?

Α: A license will be required if your customers or staff can listen to the music, regardless the equipment you use for this purpose. In this case you will have to pay an annual fee for your license you can see the way this fee is calculated here.


Q: We purchase our music from a supplier of music coverage services so we have already paid for it. Should we also pay GRAMMO?

Α: In a case such as this you have paid for the supply of music as a product, which is different from the license regarding the use/performance/presentation of the said music in public areas. Regarding public performance intellectual property rights have to be paid to GRAMMO and the other intellectual property and neighboring rights collecting societies.


Q: We organize an annual event. Do we need license for that?

Α: Yes, the license is an ongoing legal obligation whether the music is used throughout the year or during a single event/activity. You can obtain a special license from GRAMMO that will be valid for a short period or even for just one event/activity.


Q: Do we need licence for the music we use in our website?

Α: It depends on the way music is used. If music starts automatically each time a user visits your website, then you do need a license from GRAMMO. However, if it is the visitors that have to choose for the music to start playing and they can choose what to see or listen to, then we have a case of “on demand” use and royalties for this type of use are to be paid directly to the record companies.

For more information regarding both the “on demand” use of music, and the use of music video clips, you should contact GRAMMO.


Q: How is the remuneration I am to pay calculated?

Α: GRAMMO’s remuneration depends on the type of business, the role of music on its operation, and also in parameters like the usable size of the premises. For more information, you can consult our published tariffs.


Q: What will happen if I don’t pay?

Α: According to the applicable legislation this is an infringement and legal proceedings will be pursued so that the remuneration due is collected, while you will probably be burdened with the court expenses.


Q: How does GRAMMO monitor the use of music by businesses?

Α: The inspectors of GRAMMO carry out inspections in businesses / users of music.


Q: How is the money collected by GRAMMO used?

Α: GRAMMO, a non-profit company of the civil law, is responsible for the calculation and distribution of the collected rights to the right owning producers in various countries all over the world. GRAMMO distributes income twice a year to the rightowners producers – members or not – according to its distribution regulation.


Q: We do pay royalties to PRS. Doesn’t the payment of royalties to GRAMMO mean paying twice for the same right?

Α: No, since GRAMMO represents a different group of rightsholders than those of PRS.

PRS manages the rights of the creators of music, namely the composers and the lyric authors. GRAMMO on the other hand manages the rights of music producers, namely the record companies.

Therefore, any business should respond to all of its by Law obligations, to avoid any legal disputes.

We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it. Ok